One of the largest flying creatures ever, Ornithocheirus is known from a variety of bone fragments on different continents.
Like many larger pterosaurs, Ornithocheirus had an enormous head relative to its body length. The jaw supported numerous long, slender, pointed teeth, useful for catching a slippery diet of fish and squid.
The crest of the Ornithocheirus may have offered some aerodynamic advantage in flight or it may have been an indicator of gender or for species recognition. Some of the best Pterosaur fossils have come from the Araripe Plateau in north-west Brazil.
- One of the largest flying creatures ever
- Wingspan was 12m (40 feet)
- Lived during the Cretaceous Period
- Had an enormous head relative to its body length
- Its jaws supported numerous long, slender, pointed teeth, useful for catching fish and squid